Ra - An ancient Egyptian god associated with the sun and sky. Ra is depicted with the head of a falcon.
Rabbit - Rabbits have many meanings from fertility to renewal. In Chinese astrology people born in The Year of the Rabbit are good communicators and ambitious.
Rainbow Flag - A popular symbol for those wishing to express their homosexuality. Originally created in San Francisco in the late 70's it has come to be internationally recognized for 'Gay Pride' everywhere.
Reverse Swastika - This is the mirror image of the symbol used by the Nazis. It is an ancient Hindu symbol and has the opposite meaning to that which it is most associated.
RIP - Rest in Peace is an epitaph on a grave. As a tattoo it is quite common either as a memory of a deceased person or in the fantasy style of tattoo art depicting grisly scenes.
Rock of Ages - This symbolizes a woman clinging to a cross or headstone with a banner below with the inscription 'Rock of Ages'. She can either be seen on a rocky outcrop or amongst flowers as is meant on a scene of a shipwreck. As such, is a common tattoo amongst sailors and also as a religious tattoo.
Rooster - Roosters have many associations in Chinese astrology and in Western beliefs. For instance sailors used to get tattoos of roosters as they were known to not be able to swim so would want to get back to the relative safety of dry ground. They have also been known to be proud and fighting birds. In Chinese they are considered to be intellectual, while Buddhists associate them with passion.
Rose - Roses are probably the quintessential flower in the West and a VERY popular form of tattoo. The rose is rich with meaning and symbolism.
- Red roses can mean love, romantic love, and respect.
- White roses signify spiritual love, purity, innocence or secrecy.
- Bridal white means happy love.
- Yellow roses signify joy, gladness, friendship and devotion.
- Coral roses imply desire.
- Light peach roses signify modesty or friendship
- Orange roses say fascination.
- Light pink roses imply grace, gentility and admiration.
- Dark pink roses say "thank you."
- Red and yellow roses mixed together can mean congratulations
- Yellow and orange roses together imply passionate thoughts.
- Red and white roses signify unity
Runes - These are an ancient alphabet of the Nordic race. Each astrological sign corresponds to a runic symbol. Because of the complexity and individual interpretation of each rune no one meaning can be attached to runes. Some of the runic symbols have been taken by those with affiliations to White Nationalism.